To apply for this position, please go to: securian.com/careers and apply for job ID: 14343.
Securian has a long history of outstanding growth in the Group Life Insurance and Financial Institution business units. We are the fourth largest Group Life insurance writer in America and our Financial Institution Group that provides products through banks and credit unions, achieved a fifth record breaking year in revenue.
The Medical Underwriting department that serves these business units has a primary function to make mortality risk decisions (i.e. underwrite) individual applicants under group-type plans. We serve multiple business units and many product lines. We have exceptionally high standards for service and communication. We provide fast and efficient decision making and underwriters communicate directly with applicants and group policyholders (e.g. employers, financial institutions, etc.). Our underwriters benefit from a sophisticated and efficient system for managing work. We utilize the typical tools and techniques for underwriting the risk of an individual (e.g. paramedical examinations, lab results, medical records, questionnaires, etc.).
What you would do in this job:
1. Maintains expertise and oversees research on individual risk management tools, techniques and their protective value so that risk assessment guidelines are kept current for any products underwritten by Group Medical Underwriting.
2. Utilizes protective value knowledge and tool/technique options, individual risk assessment expertise, as well as an understanding of product marketing, distribution and mortality objectives, to act as a risk management advisor for efficient and effective underwriting.
3. Heads the Group Medical Underwriting risk management team to achieve cost effective and efficient mortality and morbidity results.
4. Serves as the in-house liaison, expert, resource and contact person for mortality or morbidity decision analysis for field representatives, reinsurers and outside vendors as it relates to risk selection and legal issues relating to individual risk underwriting within the Group Underwriting Department.
5. Works in direct partnership with the Underwriting Operations Manager and IT to automate mortality and morbidity risk assessment to the greatest extent possible and to assure that the mortality and morbidity risk tools and techniques are effectively managed by the system.
6. Oversees, and occasionally personally underwrites, the most complex and/or politically sensitive applications.
What we'd expect from you:
1. Exceptional vision while understanding the detail required to achieve a future state.
2. Exceptional analytical and critical thinking capabilities (including statistical analysis) to effectively evaluate, recommend, present and implement appropriate guidelines and testing thresholds for a variety of products.
3. Inquisitive and analytical orientation to sustain superior knowledge of underwriting tools and techniques and their effective uses and protective value in all areas of underwriting.
4. Superior planning and execution related to protective value tools, techniques and decision results. Includes exceptional knowledge of Excel and other analytical tools.
5. Understanding of distribution, marketing and point of sales techniques to acquire applicants.
6. Strong leadership skills to facilitate collaboration and education across business lines, and to influence change as the underwriting function evolves.
7. Strong understanding of business goals and plans across divisions, combined with solid risk management acumen, to persuade key stakeholders (e.g., division leadership, product development teams) in decision-making as it relates to medical underwriting.
8. Communication and human relations skills to maintain strong professional relationships, both internally and externally.
9. Strong decision making skills to guide the department in consistently achieving expected mortality and morbidity results in concert with good productivity, service and expense results.
10. Approachability and strong management skills to lead and develop risk management staff as well as technical skills in the underwriters.
11. Good understanding of the compliance, legal and regulatory issues impacting underwriting.
Preferred skills for this job:
1. Underwriting experience (mortality risk assessment of an individual).
2. Strong knowledge of Group, Financial Institutions and/or Individual products.
3. Demonstrated skill in analytics and problem solving.
4. Successful track record in 4-year degree program.